Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank
29-05-2012, 03:23 AM,
RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank
lozevans555 - 06-08-2011 08:49 PM

If you use the correct sized terminal screwdriver with a wider handle then you will gain extra leverage without it slipping. The terminal heads don't look chewed up so they can defo take some extra pressure.

Tip. Take out an unused terminal screw and take it with you when you go and buy a new screw driver and keep trying them untill you find one that fits (with a wider handle than the one you have been using)

Its alot cheaper than buying a new panel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 06-08-2011 09:09 PM

(06-08-2011 06:57 PM)FastCar Wrote: Please tell me you are not using this sort of screwdriver??...

You must you the correct tools ..your panel/keypad are shot now anyway , so just fit a new panel..but please get some proper tools..or pay somebody who already posesses them.

If you snip the wires , yes your external bell will sound ( its suppossed to ) , but should stop after 15 mins ( pick the right time of day and you should have no problems).[/b]
FastCar just checked i have used 50mm Philips screwdriver (50mm, PH0) and on one i had to use a flat screwdriver 50mm (2.0).
will it still be shorted..i am hearing the 5 sec beep all time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 06-08-2011 11:17 PM

The PIR lights are not blinking as well now

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 08:57 AM

Hi All,

Finally have been able to move the screw, i used a combinations of philips & a slightly wider flat hear screw to make this work..now am about to take off the keypad wires all 4. Will the alarm bell sound when i do this or as the other end (Remote keypad) is already disconnected, this should not matter

have taken out the wires as well..no alarm bell sounded..
checked using the voltage tester initially at these wire ends and they all are showing presence of voltage....i thought this should not be because now have disconnected both ends (main control panel & remote keypad) fully?

is it right?.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 07-08-2011 09:37 AM

If the pir lights are not blinking a fuse inside the panel has probably blown.

There should be no voltage. What reading are you getting. Ensure that you are not holding the metal part of the probes when you test.

Engels

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 10:05 AM

(07-08-2011 09:37 AM)engels7570 Wrote: If the pir lights are not blinking a fuse inside the panel has probably blown.

There should be no voltage. What reading are you getting. Ensure that you are not holding the metal part of the probes when you test.

Engels

checked using multimeter( red test lead in VQma socket of multimeter, black test lead to COM socket ), voltage dc test,

#1) max set to 200V first no voltage reading showing.
#2) max set to 20V no voltage reading showing.

Again touched the tester at the end points of black & red wires showing presence of voltage

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 11:53 AM

(07-08-2011 10:05 AM)inkypinky Wrote:
(07-08-2011 09:37 AM)engels7570 Wrote: If the pir lights are not blinking a fuse inside the panel has probably blown.

Engels

checked using multimeter( red test lead in VQma socket of multimeter, black test lead to COM socket ), voltage dc test,

#1) max set to 200V first no voltage reading showing.
#2) max set to 20V no voltage reading showing.

Again touched the tester at the end points of black & red wires showing presence of voltage

could there be any other voltage leekage into these wires?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - lozevans555 - 07-08-2011 01:04 PM

Have you set your meter to test DC voltage and not AC voltage.

You may pick up a VERY small amount of AC voltage if your meter is set to AC.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - lozevans555 - 07-08-2011 01:05 PM

Sorry just seen that you have infact set the meter to DC test.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 01:08 PM

(07-08-2011 01:05 PM)lozevans555 Wrote: Sorry just seen that you have infact set the meter to DC test.

yes i set the meter to DC test mode, i also had set the meter to AC test mode to check if there is any AC leek-age but meter reading is showing 0. The tester still shows little orange glow when touched at these wires.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - lozevans555 - 07-08-2011 02:31 PM

They may have taken the K-pad voltage fromthe aux 12v terminals. I'll av a look at your photo.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 02:50 PM

cheers all..must say thanks to everyone who have been helping..sorry am not able to live upto expectations...i may give it up and buy a new one...

#1) Which model i should go for given the level of my DIY will expect a easy install one
#2) Outside bell is near top of 1st floor (ours is a 3 floor house)..will i have to change the bell as well..in that case may be rent a ladder (big enough) or completely give up to professionals.

am bit depressed not being able to crack this one

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 07-08-2011 03:20 PM

If the bellbox works I'd leave it on. I recommend Texecom Veritas R8;
http://www.adk-security.com/texecom-veri...-321-p.asp
We'll help you through the install.
Ron.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 07:39 PM

(07-08-2011 03:20 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: If the bellbox works I'd leave it on. I recommend Texecom Veritas R8;
http://www.adk-security.com/texecom-veri...-321-p.asp
We'll help you through the install.
Ron.

cheers ron...will buy this set.will start a new thread for removing/replacing with the texecom one..

many thanks all for your patience and help!

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 07-08-2011 07:45 PM

Don't tinker with the old one until you have the new one & have read both manuals.
Ron.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 07-08-2011 09:01 PM

(07-08-2011 07:45 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: Don't tinker with the old one until you have the new one & have read both manuals.
Ron.
yup.

From where can i get installation manual {will the new set come with one?}

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 08-08-2011 08:32 PM

The panel comes with both manuals.
Ron.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 11-08-2011 01:29 PM

(08-08-2011 08:32 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: The panel comes with both manuals.
Ron.

the Texecom Veritas R8 with RKP should be arriving hopefully by weekend...what preparation do i need to make on the old one before i start ripping it off?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 11-08-2011 01:39 PM

Wait until it arrivers before doing anything. You'll need to label all wiring. Zones, tamper bell etc. Draw a diagram & ideally take pics.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 11-08-2011 04:28 PM

(11-08-2011 01:39 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: Wait until it arrivers before doing anything. You'll need to label all wiring. Zones, tamper bell etc. Draw a diagram & ideally take pics.

ok will take the pics...i terms of wiring labels there are already some attached but will properly label them to avoid further disasters!!..
cheers!

29-05-2012, 03:23 AM,
inkypinky - 16-08-2011 01:17 PM

have recieved the texecom panel today..will start the marking of current system.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 16-08-2011 09:52 PM

Leave the wires beneath their terminals while labelling them. For example, if the two wires (cores) beneath the terminals of zone one are say red and black, wrap them together with tape, label them. Do this for the entire terminal rail. At say the Bell outputs, there may be a terminal marked SW- for example, label this wire before removing from the terminal rail. After each wire (core) is labelled, check them once more against the legends (lettering) beside the terminals to ensure they are correct. Once confirmed, they can be removed. Be aware, that removing the external warning device wires (cores) may cause it to sound from it's own battery.

Engels

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 17-08-2011 09:30 AM

(16-08-2011 09:52 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Leave the wires beneath their terminals while labelling them. For example, if the two wires (cores) beneath the terminals of zone one are say red and black, wrap them together with tape, label them. Do this for the entire terminal rail. At say the Bell outputs, there may be a terminal marked SW- for example, label this wire before removing from the terminal rail. After each wire (core) is labelled, check them once more against the legends (lettering) beside the terminals to ensure they are correct. Once confirmed, they can be removed. Be aware, that removing the external warning device wires (cores) may cause it to sound from it's own battery.

Engels

cheers engel..will follow the same for marking...also on the new control panel do i need to run some pre-installation test?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 17-08-2011 10:44 AM

On all devices, before mounting them it is wise to clear a table and familiarise yourself with them. How does the panel open ? where are the terminals for the sounder, zones and so on. This is called 'bench testing before install'.... most trade installers don't do this, but it is very important to know your devices before attempting to install them. If you are using a new external sounder, open it up and get used to it before climbing the ladder and so on. There is a definite bench testing routine, but most people ignore it, sometimes at their peril. Don't lose the cover screws for the control panel, put them safe at all times.

Compare the terminals in the new control panel against those in the panel you are going to remove, get a plan of attack as it were. Today's panels are very reliable, perhaps that's why not many bother with a bench test. Most of all READ THE NEW PANEL INSTRUCTIONS AT LEAST TWICE IF NOT THREE TIMES.. get familiar with your gear. Do not attempt to rush the job, write down everything you do, when you do it, in a notebook, if things go wrong you can glance at your notes and probably see where you went wrong. And we all make mistakes, even the best engineers, so video or write notes as you proceed, don't leave anything to memory. Memory plays tricks with you even though you carried out a procedure less than ten minutes ago. Take your time, check your connections, and check them again. Imagine that you are being tested and a examiner is standing behind you with a clipboard. Most of all, RELAX, take plenty of tea breaks and don't break out in a sweat over little problems.

Engels

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 17-08-2011 04:19 PM

(17-08-2011 10:44 AM)engels7570 Wrote: On all devices, before mounting them it is wise to clear a table and familiarise yourself with them. How does the panel open ? where are the terminals for the sounder, zones and so on. This is called 'bench testing before install'.... most trade installers don't do this, but it is very important to know your devices before attempting to install them. If you are using a new external sounder, open it up and get used to it before climbing the ladder and so on. There is a definite bench testing routine, but most people ignore it, sometimes at their peril. Don't lose the cover screws for the control panel, put them safe at all times.

Compare the terminals in the new control panel against those in the panel you are going to remove, get a plan of attack as it were. Today's panels are very reliable, perhaps that's why not many bother with a bench test. Most of all READ THE NEW PANEL INSTRUCTIONS AT LEAST TWICE IF NOT THREE TIMES.. get familiar with your gear. Do not attempt to rush the job, write down everything you do, when you do it, in a notebook, if things go wrong you can glance at your notes and probably see where you went wrong. And we all make mistakes, even the best engineers, so video or write notes as you proceed, don't leave anything to memory. Memory plays tricks with you even though you carried out a procedure less than ten minutes ago. Take your time, check your connections, and check them again. Imagine that you are being tested and a examiner is standing behind you with a clipboard. Most of all, RELAX, take plenty of tea breaks and don't break out in a sweat over little problems.

Engels

cheers Engels...i will mark out the current system wires and take photos/video today...i think its best i do this installation on weekend as current work pressure does not leave much time in the evening for me...will post the photos of the system marking

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 17-08-2011 08:48 PM

Hi inky,

What I meant by video, photos and notes, was intended for your own use in case you run into a minor problem and you need to review your work. By all means, if you keep pics of the whole exercise, it's going to be easier for the site engineers to see what's happening, but I don't envisage you having any problems. Are you changing the external sounder as well ?

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 17-08-2011 10:16 PM

(17-08-2011 08:48 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Hi inky,

What I meant by video, photos and notes, was intended for your own use in case you run into a minor problem and you need to review your work. By all means, if you keep pics of the whole exercise, it's going to be easier for the site engineers to see what's happening, but I don't envisage you having any problems. Are you changing the external sounder as well ?

Engels.

Hi Engels..yes they will be mainly for my use/review and will share some as i progress or need advice...i am not changing the external sounder (bell)..

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 17-08-2011 10:28 PM

If your not changing the sounder make absolutely sure that you have the wire colours and the terminal legends ( letters or numbers beside each terminal) taped to each wire. Otherwise, it will be a trip up the ladder.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 18-08-2011 10:20 AM

(17-08-2011 10:28 PM)engels7570 Wrote: If your not changing the sounder make absolutely sure that you have the wire colours and the terminal legends ( letters or numbers beside each terminal) taped to each wire. Otherwise, it will be a trip up the ladder.

Engels.

hmmm...ok..

if in worst case...bell sounder keeps on ...will it die after 15 min of sounding...mains will be on but the fuse spur for alarm will be disconnected?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 18-08-2011 12:17 PM

I don't know what sounder you've got so this is a generalisation:-

In normal condition, the sounder is prevented from sounding from it's own battery by two wires, positive and negative. They are generally called HO+ and HO- but this permanent supply can be taken from other terminals, say Bell positive (B+) and say (TF) tamper feed for example. Whichever they are, one is permanent positive and one is permanent negative. If you can identify these, so much the better. If not, post your sounder connections so that the site can tell you which ones to use. Loop a cable through the back of the control panel. You need to join these two wires which are feeding the sounder to two wires of this cable, say red and black. Place the panel standby battery on the floor and connect the hold off positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery, then do the same with the hold off negative wire. This should keep the outside sounder silent so that you can carry on with your work. When you join the hold off wires at the panel put some insulating tape around the joins so that they don't short to anything.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 18-08-2011 04:15 PM

(18-08-2011 12:17 PM)engels7570 Wrote: I don't know what sounder you've got so this is a generalisation:-

In normal condition, the sounder is prevented from sounding from it's own battery by two wires, positive and negative. They are generally called HO+ and HO- but this permanent supply can be taken from other terminals, say Bell positive (B+) and say (TF) tamper feed for example. Whichever they are, one is permanent positive and one is permanent negative. If you can identify these, so much the better. If not, post your sounder connections so that the site can tell you which ones to use. Loop a cable through the back of the control panel. You need to join these two wires which are feeding the sounder to two wires of this cable, say red and black. Place the panel standby battery on the floor and connect the hold off positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery, then do the same with the hold off negative wire. This should keep the outside sounder silent so that you can carry on with your work. When you join the hold off wires at the panel put some insulating tape around the joins so that they don't short to anything.

Engels.

Engels..

I have taken the photo of sounder connections on the panel. Which are the two wires.

[attachment=880]

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 18-08-2011 05:47 PM

Bell + & - are for hold off

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 18-08-2011 06:02 PM

(18-08-2011 05:47 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: Bell + & - are for hold off

thanks how did you found out that?

i have marked the zones wires, i have got 3 PIR's but only two PIR wires have got connection into Aux. don't know how the 3rd one is being done but will solve that mystery.

at this stage if i start taking off the zone wires, will that alarm the bell?

cheers!
Inky

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 19-08-2011 08:04 AM

(18-08-2011 06:02 PM)inkypinky Wrote:
(18-08-2011 05:47 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: Bell + & - are for hold off

thanks how did you found out that?

i have marked the zones wires, i have got 3 PIR's but only two PIR wires have got connection into Aux. don't know how the 3rd one is being done but will solve that mystery.

at this stage if i start taking off the zone wires, will that alarm the bell?

cheers!
Inky

Remalarms..thx..so HO+ is either Red or white wire and HO- is Yellow Wire, i see an aux- (negative) . connection going into BELL C, 3rd up from the yellow wire.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 19-08-2011 11:40 AM

There should be black wires linking bell- to both terminals labelled C (common). This provides the - feed for the bell & strobe triggers. Unnecesarilly confusing in my view. Red & white are both doing the same job, you can disconnect one if you want but for simplicity I'd leave them.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 19-08-2011 12:34 PM

(19-08-2011 11:40 AM)Rem Alarms Wrote: There should be black wires linking bell- to both terminals labelled C (common). This provides the - feed for the bell & strobe triggers. Unnecesarilly confusing in my view. Red & white are both doing the same job, you can disconnect one if you want but for simplicity I'd leave them.

cheers Rem Alarms!

After fuse spur is out & mains down.

1. So am planning to disconnect the Red+White (HO+) & Yellow (-) and also disconnect the Batatery Black & Red and connect

a) Battery RED to Sounder (RED+White)
b) Battery Black to Sounder (Yellow)

This should hold off the bell sounding correct?

Then remove other wires from the bell i.e. Aux- going into 'C' Common terminals, green in Strobe NO, Blue in Temper, this will disconnect Bell completly from system but sounder will be hold off by the battery.

2. I will then move towards disconnecting zone wires, their aux. wires, their tamper wires. This will remove all PIR's/Door Connectors from the system.

3. Keypad wires are already removed.

4. Remove the mains Live/Neutral/Earth from the transformer.

How long will battery be able to hold off while i fix the new panel?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 19-08-2011 08:51 PM

Hours & hours.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 19-08-2011 08:54 PM

After years of advising on this panel I met my first one for years today, to replace it. The PCB is slightly smaller than a paperback book. The cabinet is roughly the size of a fridge. Wouldn't fit in the boot so I tried to put it on the roofbars. Still too big. In the end I hired a low-loader & a Police escort.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 19-08-2011 08:56 PM

(19-08-2011 08:54 PM)Rem Alarms Wrote: After years of advising on this panel I met my first one for years today, to replace it. The PCB is slightly smaller than a paperback book. The cabinet is roughly the size of a fridge. Wouldn't fit in the boot so I tried to put it on the roofbars. Still too big. In the end I hired a low-loader & a Police escort.

ohh..mine is i will 1/2 paper back's side by side..are you saying Sterling10?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 19-08-2011 09:13 PM

Just looked again. The PCB is a bit bigger than a Kraft cheese slice. Panel is at least twice as big as it needs to be.

29-05-2012, 03:24 AM,
inkypinky - 19-08-2011 11:33 PM

I have one thing unclear..

I have got 3 PIR's & 1 magnetic Door contact...on the control panel i can see 4 pairs of wires going into zone terminals (Z1 to Z4), then there are two pairs of wires going into Aux (+ & -), one pair of Wire Red/Black are just covered with tape (probably Door Connector and the installer must have used 6 core so 2 cores are left unused)..

I am not able to find the power wires for the 3rd PIR, is it that the 3rd one is probably connected in parallel to one of the PIR's Power connections?

Have done the bench testing before install...go good grasp of what needs to go where will do once more tomm and then hopefully will begin the installation

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 20-08-2011 08:33 AM

also if I short circuit the tamper connections on PCB, then can I take off the Tamper Wires going in from PIR?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 20-08-2011 10:08 AM

Hi All,

I have now mapped my from existing Sterling 10 PCB to new Texacom PCB,

1st Image is of Wires mapped on current Sterling 10 Control Panel
[attachment=883]

2nd Image is mapping of Wire points in first image onto Texacom PCB
[attachment=884]

3rd Image is the Wiring Migration of the Sounder (Bell) box from existing Sterling10 PCB to Texacom PCB.
[attachment=885]

Please can you let me know if these look good to start?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 20-08-2011 01:15 PM

i thnk everyone is enjoying the sunshine...

any comments when you see this post, am i moving in the right direction

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 20-08-2011 04:43 PM

Help please!

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 20-08-2011 05:55 PM

There are a few things not quite right, but you're on the right track.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 20-08-2011 05:57 PM

Taking a second look, it seems O.K.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 20-08-2011 06:58 PM

Cheers Engels....I think zones are ok am not too sure about sounder alarms

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:27 AM

have taken off the zone wires, aux. wires, & tamper wires, now only battery & sounder wires are there, nothing sounded when I took the zone wires off, is it a sign of something BAD??

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 11:32 AM

Hiya Inky,

You're doing well, I trust you've checked and double checked all connections. Go ahead and connect the siren. We'll deal with the problems as they arise. Don't blow the 'bell fuse' though.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:51 AM

(21-08-2011 11:32 AM)engels7570 Wrote: Hiya Inky,

You're doing well, I trust you've checked and double checked all connections. Go ahead and connect the siren. We'll deal with the problems as they arise. Don't blow the 'bell fuse' though.

Engels.

cheers engels

Phase 2.....i have now taken off the battery, the trick i applied was that took the mains spur fuse off..disconnected the battery wires from the PCB..the sounder sounded..but then plugged the mains spur in..

so now only wires in the PCB are the 17V transformer feed and the sounder wires...am extending the wires of the battery to put them on ground so that I can take off the sounder wires from PCB..

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 12:00 PM

Hiya Inky,

You're almost the proud owner of a new panel, complete with guarantee and manuals,

There's a tendency to 'rush' toward the end of things. Take your time.

Keep us informed.

Engels

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 12:19 PM

status now : Old panel sounder wires taken off and are now being hold off by battery..

next : mains off, main fuse spur out, take off the live feed and then take off the panel completly..

then have to put the new panel on wall
3 panel screws taken out, 4 th one is under the PCB, how to take that out, The PCB is mounted using plastic support bridges kind of thing?

(21-08-2011 12:19 PM)inkypinky Wrote: status now : Old panel sounder wires taken off and are now being hold off by battery..

next : mains off, main fuse spur out, take off the live feed and then take off the panel completly..

then have to put the new panel on wall
3 panel screws taken out, 4 th one is under the PCB, how to take that out, The PCB is mounted using plastic support bridges kind of thing?

managed to take the last screw off, old panel off the wall now need to fit the new panel on wall

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 06:12 PM

Doing well Inky, keep up the good work,

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 06:13 PM

almost all complete last connection to do is for sounder & battery...keypad connected..

just to confirm silly question Live : brown, Earth : Green, Neutral : Blue?

(21-08-2011 06:13 PM)inkypinky Wrote: almost all complete last connection to do is for sounder & battery...keypad connected..

system all connected..powered on..bell connected..the keypad connected..the error sound came..entered user code..error tone stopped.

PIR light is still not blinking...have to now program the zones and do walk test.

thanks everyone i am getting there..really grateful to you all

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 06:55 PM

Check your connections if the pir light is not blinking. Pos and neg auxiliary supply. Also check the auxiliary fuse by replacing it with a new one. Was the pir blinking before you changed the panels ? and does this apply to all the pir's or just one ?

Engels

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 06:57 PM

Correct. Remove the fuse from the fused spur before connecting.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 07:38 PM

(21-08-2011 06:55 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Check your connections if the pir light is not blinking. Pos and neg auxiliary supply. Also check the auxiliary fuse by replacing it with a new one. Was the pir blinking before you changed the panels ? and does this apply to all the pir's or just one ?

Engels

PIR used to blink earlier..it is applying to all PIR's..

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 09:27 PM

(21-08-2011 07:38 PM)inkypinky Wrote:
(21-08-2011 06:55 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Check your connections if the pir light is not blinking. Pos and neg auxiliary supply. Also check the auxiliary fuse by replacing it with a new one. Was the pir blinking before you changed the panels ? and does this apply to all the pir's or just one ?

Engels

PIR used to blink earlier..it is applying to all PIR's..

aux. fuse is blowing off...tried spare one that also blew off..
zone 1 is fine, which is a magnetic contact

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 09:30 PM

Positive (+) wire is touching a Negative (-) wire, could be just a whisker of wire which is hard to see without a magnifying glass and plenty of light. Don't replace the fuse until you are convinced you have found the fault.

Engels.

29-05-2012, 03:24 AM,
inkypinky - 21-08-2011 10:16 PM

(21-08-2011 09:30 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Positive (+) wire is touching a Negative (-) wire, could be just a whisker of wire which is hard to see without a magnifying glass and plenty of light. Don't replace the fuse until you are convinced you have found the fault.

Engels.

ok..checked battery supply, multimeter reading is 12.54V, so battery is fine, Aux supply multimeter shows .54V.

checked any stray wires..couldn't find any

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - lozevans555 - 21-08-2011 10:44 PM

Ouch! Aux supply should read 12-13Vdc.

.54V is defo not right. You have a short on one of your supply wires to your Pir or SAB or Kpad.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 10:49 PM

(21-08-2011 10:44 PM)lozevans555 Wrote: Ouch! Aux supply should read 12-13Vdc.

.54V is defo not right. You have a short on one of your supply wires to your Pir or SAB or Kpad.

keypad is working fine..its letting me set zone 1 (magnetic contact) to chime mode, takes user/engg. codes, tested strobe & bell and internal sounder they all are sounding correct..

could it be the wire going to PIRs?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 10:53 PM

Take out (remove) the Aux (+) wires. Two reds. Place some insulating tape on the ends, don't let them touch the printed circuit board or any other wires. Place a new fuse in the Aux fuse cradle. Let us know what happens.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 10:59 PM

Further to last post: If the fuse does not blow, place your multimeter leads on the Aux terminals, Should have at least twelve volts. Do not replace the Reds you removed from the positive ( + ) auxiliary terminal.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 11:02 PM

Further to above post: As Loz points out, the battery voltage appears to be rather low, but this could be because of the tolerance on your multimeter e.g. +/- 10%. Let the site know if you have connected the mains supply.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:03 PM

(21-08-2011 10:53 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Take out (remove) the Aux (+) wires. Two reds. Place some insulating tape on the ends, don't let them touch the printed circuit board or any other wires. Place a new fuse in the Aux fuse cradle. Let us know what happens.

Engels.

unfortunately i have used the spare fuse which came with the alarm...the "aux. 12V & speaker" Fuse is 500mA rating and is same as "Keypad network" fuse also rated at 500mA can I use that spare?

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 11:05 PM

Yes, for now, until we find out the correct rating for Aux. Follow my posts above.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:10 PM

(21-08-2011 11:02 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Further to above post: As Loz points out, the battery voltage appears to be rather low, but this could be because of the tolerance on your multimeter e.g. +/- 10%. Let the site know if you have connected the mains supply.

Engels.

ok i will use the keypad fuse (500mA)

the battery supply was reading at 12.54V, when I checked the supply across the Aux terminals that was very low 0.54V.

I have disconnected the mains supply while checking this

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 11:14 PM

Connect the mains supply, keep clear of the transformer. The battery needs a poke.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:36 PM

(21-08-2011 11:14 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Connect the mains supply, keep clear of the transformer. The battery needs a poke.

Engels.

ok i have connected the mains supply...sorry the battery reading was 13.51V not 12.54 my mistake..

and now am not able to find a spare 500ma Fuse, it seems they only shipped 4 fuse instead of 5 or i have lost one of them..have to go tomm. to get one..will pull the aux +ve (2 red wires) out and tape them..

i must say thank you for you help throughout..i wouldn't have even come this far..really appreciate your help...!! i will update tomm. once i get new fuses to test the same...

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 21-08-2011 11:41 PM

Good work, but you're working too long and too late, have a cuppa and get to bed.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 21-08-2011 11:42 PM

(21-08-2011 11:41 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Good work, but you're working too long and too late, have a cuppa and get to bed.

Engels.

cheers engels...nighty night everyone...

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 22-08-2011 10:20 AM

Easy mistake to make; on the pyronix the aux pos & neg are in opposite terminals to the new panel. Check that they are in the correct terminals.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 11:03 AM

(22-08-2011 10:20 AM)engels7570 Wrote: Easy mistake to make; on the pyronix the aux pos & neg are in opposite terminals to the new panel. Check that they are in the correct terminals.

Engels.

cheers engels..yes pyronix/texecom Aux are inverted...i checked that Red was in Aux+ (Now taken off & taped), black is still in Aux - terminal on PCB

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 02:25 PM

(21-08-2011 10:59 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Further to last post: If the fuse does not blow, place your multimeter leads on the Aux terminals, Should have at least twelve volts. Do not replace the Reds you removed from the positive ( + ) auxiliary terminal.

Engels.

inserted new fuse, Red wire pair from PIR's is not connected to (Aux+) , Fuse is fine.

Reading at Aux Terminal shows : 12.5V
Reading at Battery shows : 12.88V

Then took the black wire out also and checked for short circuit between Red & black wires, no sound coming when I do continuity test.

At the moment Black & Red wires are both out of terminal & taped

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 03:36 PM

(22-08-2011 02:25 PM)inkypinky Wrote:
(21-08-2011 10:59 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Further to last post: If the fuse does not blow, place your multimeter leads on the Aux terminals, Should have at least twelve volts. Do not replace the Reds you removed from the positive ( + ) auxiliary terminal.

Engels.

inserted new fuse, Red wire pair from PIR's is not connected to (Aux+) , Fuse is fine.

Reading at Aux Terminal shows : 12.5V
Reading at Battery shows : 12.88V

Then took the black wire out also and checked for short circuit between Red & black wires, no sound coming when I do continuity test.

At the moment Black & Red wires are both out of terminal & taped

tested again with plugging red/black wires in terminal & the aux. fuse blew off

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 05:10 PM

checked the PIR terminals, there are no short circuits there..could it be possible that 500mA is too less..the pyronix one had 1A fuse..

bit stuck here

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 22-08-2011 07:36 PM

Hiya Inky,

Have you checked that black is going to Aux negative, and red to Aux positive ?

Increasing the fuse rating could cause a printed circuit board fault so keep it at 500 mA for the moment. There is a red wire and a black wire of one cable joined to a red and a black wire of another cable, but the problem is that you can't see which cables they are because they are hidden behind the printed circuit board.

It's a bit of a tricky job, but it would help if you could locate these two cables by gently partially removing the printed circuit board. You may need to remove the battery for this. You need to check both these cables within the vicinity of the control panel since you haven't been working anywhere else. Check that the cables are not wedged between the panel and the wall and that you haven't screwed down on one by mistake.

When you have found the cables, seperate the black and red from one cable, and the black and red from the other and un-twist them. Do a resistance test on each black and red in each seperate cable. Also check for broken insulation. Not just between the Aux cables but check all others also.

Engels.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 08:05 PM

(22-08-2011 07:36 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Hiya Inky,

Have you checked that black is going to Aux negative, and red to Aux positive ?

Increasing the fuse rating could cause a printed circuit board fault so keep it at 500 mA for the moment. There is a red wire and a black wire of one cable joined to a red and a black wire of another cable, but the problem is that you can't see which cables they are because they are hidden behind the printed circuit board.

It's a bit of a tricky job, but it would help if you could locate these two cables by gently partially removing the printed circuit board. You may need to remove the battery for this. You need to check both these cables within the vicinity of the control panel since you haven't been working anywhere else. Check that the cables are not wedged between the panel and the wall and that you haven't screwed down on one by mistake.

When you have found the cables, seperate the black and red from one cable, and the black and red from the other and un-twist them. Do a resistance test on each black and red in each seperate cable. Also check for broken insulation. Not just between the Aux cables but check all others also.

Engels.

hi Engels...i have checked the wires red is in Aux +ve & black in Aux -ve.

For time being i have removed all zone wires..then I took off one of the PIR's..i had some spare 6core wire, i connected this PIR by using this new wire..the fuse did not blew and aux. meter readings are coming at 12V, as well as the PIR light is blinking..so as you are saying it is pointing to a wire short circuit fault..

the hard part is all wire is behind plasterboard wall..so fault could be anywhere..next i am trying to check is use the 6 core wire and check for short circuit of this PIR wire..
29-05-2012, 03:25 AM,
Rem Alarms - 22-08-2011 09:42 PM

Wire each to AUX separately, one at a time, until one of them blows the fuse.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 10:24 PM

Zone 3 wired to aux..working fine...will wire zone 4 now
Zone 4 plugged that is working fine...zone 2 cud be issue

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 22-08-2011 11:25 PM

(22-08-2011 10:24 PM)inkypinky Wrote: Zone 3 wired to aux..working fine...will wire zone 4 now
Zone 4 plugged that is working fine...zone 2 cud be issue

Zone 2 is the faulty one..have set the system at the moment with zone 1,3,4..thanks everyone..am getting there

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - Rem Alarms - 23-08-2011 12:06 PM

Well done. This is the process of elimination we use all the time. Examine wiiring & sensor. If the fault is in inaccessible cable you could cheat by using tamper wires but I didn't suggest that.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 23-08-2011 12:36 PM

fault looks like to be in the PIR, the resistance reading on a 20K scale across PIR +ve, -ve terminals is coming at 6.5,

i connected red/black wire from this PIR to control panel (Aux+, Aux-) the fuse did not shorted..

now i have taken off the PIR.

1. Taped Red & Black wire separately.
2. linked Blue & Yellow Alarm wire and taped.
3. Linked Green & White Tamper wire & taped.

In control panel, the Alarm wires are in zone terminal and tamper wire part of series connection across 3 PIR's in tamper terminal...the 2 PIR's are blinking and door contact working fine..

thanks everyone for getting me through it!! you all are stars

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 23-08-2011 07:59 PM

Give yourself a pat on the back... you did all the work.

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - inkypinky - 23-08-2011 09:01 PM

(23-08-2011 07:59 PM)engels7570 Wrote: Give yourself a pat on the back... you did all the work.

cheers Engels..but without the encouragement & help from you and other members of this forum..it would not have been possible..

i will say i would have saved ~ £350 -£300 of installation here...i think for all the help i have got from this forum I will donate 10£ to a charity..

frankly this is real "Big Society"

Thanks & Regards,
Inky

RE: Pyronix Sterling10 Keypad display blank - engels7570 - 23-08-2011 11:59 PM

You're welcome Inky, call in any time to let us know how you're getting on.

Best Wishes,

Engels.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sterling 10 alarm wont display change codes Old Posts 3 381 29-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Old Posts
  Pyronix Conqueror fault Old Posts 26 1,021 29-05-2012, 03:09 AM
  Pyronix Paragon Super restore back to factory default Old Posts 1 505 29-05-2012, 03:03 AM
  pyronix sterling 10 fuse blow Old Posts 16 646 29-05-2012, 03:01 AM
  Pyronix Conqueror engineers manual Old Posts 2 497 29-05-2012, 02:53 AM
  Pyronix Conqueror Installation Manual Old Posts 28 1,416 29-05-2012, 02:52 AM
  Pyronix Sterling 10 Question Old Posts 13 846 29-05-2012, 02:42 AM
  Pyronix Belle sounder fault Old Posts 4 433 29-05-2012, 02:33 AM
  Sterling 10 display all black Old Posts 0 155 29-05-2012, 02:29 AM